Week #6 - Recap



The Nanaimo Timbermen hosted the Oceanside Sharks on Thursday May 26th and the home team had another large supporting crowd to cheer them on against the monsters from the deep. Unfortunately, the woodsmen weren't able to create much offence after tying the game early in the first and the Oceanside Sharks balanced attack was the show in the first period scoring 5 straight to end the period with a 6-1 lead.

The axe-wielders from Nanaimo fell even further behind from the first period and into the second due to penalty trouble and the Sharks looked like they would walk away with the game. Just over halfway through the 2nd period, the Timbermen found themselves down 11-2 and what would be the "turning point" for the T-Men. Both teams would get themselves each a PP goal during the rest of the period but the home team capitalized on some errors and would bury 5 more goals to only find themselves down 12-8 after two.

The home crowd would be thrilled with the comeback effort and it continued in the 3rd period with both teams playing disciplined and the Timbermen scoring 3 unanswered goals to be down 12-11 with half a period to go. But alas; the Sharks would score another to go up by 2 and the Timbermen could only muster one more goal with 6 minutes to play, then the Sharks goaltender Jordan Day would shut the door and seal the win.

The Nanaimo Timbermen were led by Tysen Fontenla (4g, 1a), Patrick Seward (1g, 3), Jayden Thomas (3g, 1a) and Silas Wilson and Cole Prontack with (1g, 2a) each, while the Oceanside Sharks were led by Ben Tisdelle (5g), Kaelen Fourneau (3g), Adam Fyfe (2g, 1a) and Jaiden Hammill (1g, 2a).



The Saanich Express drove cross-town to face the Westshore Bears in the other Thursday night matchup this week. The Bears determined to not start off slow as in their previous game with the Express train and it showed early.

Westshore came out strong early with two possessions but were a bit overzealous their next shift and took a penalty; the Express took advantage on the powerplay and took the early one goal lead. Both teams played solid lacrosse for the first half of the period and their defenses seemed to control the action. The Bears send another player to the sin-bin halfway through the first and Saanich capitalizes. Saanich then takes a couple of penalties in the first to give the Bears the man-advantage but just couldn't solve the Express' goalie.

The second period saw each team take a few penalties giving the other the powerplay but no major damage caused or received in this tight defensive battle between the leagues current top two teams. Mason Lo would pick up and bury a loose ball in front of the Bears net and a disturbance ensued but once the dust settled, great action ensued. The Bears would solve the Express' Gains on the powerplay and then score an even-strength goal about 6 minutes later with Will Perrier knotting his first of the game but the freight chains' Colton Hauser replied with a PP marker of his own. Each team progressively improved its defense and discipline on the floor and the period ended 4-2.

A few shifts into the 3rd period, Brayden Upshon outruns a Bears defender and pots the Express' 5th goal of the game. Each teams' goaltender plays exceptional over the next 10 minutes and in this low scoring affair. The Express' Robbie Walker and the Bears' Will Perrier would trade goals with five minutes left in the game but the Express would increase their lead with two more late in the period to seal the deal.

The Westshore Bears were led by Will Perrier (2g), Carter Quested (1g, 1a), and three others with 1pt each. The Saanich Express were led by Devyn Zunti (1g, 3a), Tory Bains (1g, 2a), Colton Hauser (1g, 1a), Cooper Board (2a) and nine others with 1 point each.



The Oceanside Sharks hosted the Campbell River Ravens on Saturday May 28th @ 6:00pm at the Oceanside Place Arena. The Sharks hot off a 1-goal victory over the Timbermen and the Ravens regrouping after a close loss to the Bears.

Campbell Rivers' Rylan Fisher opens the scoring 5 shifts into the game and Ethan Mainprize buries an even-strength marker almost halfway though the period but the Sharks' Jayden Haftner replies to close the gap to 2-1. Oceanside would get into penalty trouble at the end of the period and the Ravens' would make them pay to take a 4-1 lead into the first intermission.

Both teams played the majority of the period shorthanded, so practicing the two-man game each week would have benefited players this period. Campbell River seemed to have it down as they controlled the 2nd period and outscored the home team 6-3 taking a 10-4 lead into intermission.

The Sharks finally get out of shallow water and take the Ravens for a swim in the third period by outscoring them 5-2 but the comeback led by Ben Tisdelle was not quite enough as the Sharks fall to the Ravens 12-9.

The Sharks were led by Ben Tisdelle (2g, 3a), Blake Knoll (1g, 4a), and Hammill and Haftner with (2g, 1a) respectively. The Saanich Express were lead by Devyn Zunti (1g, 3a), Tory Bains (1g, 2a), Colton Hauser (1g, 1a), Cooper Board (2a) and nine others with 1 point each.



The Oceanside Sharks hosted the Westshore Bears on Sunday May 29th @ 3:00pm at the Oceanside Place Arena. The Sharks coming off a road win and a close home loss; didn't want to wake a sleeping Bear, but did just that this game.

The Bears were on the prowl early as they scored just one possession into the first period. The Sharks then weathered the storm and both teams were held off the scoresheet for the next 10 minutes but then the Bears found life in their legs. They potted 2 even-strength goals and then 2 powerplay goals due to a high-sticking major and went into the first intermission with a 5-0 lead.

Unfortunately the Sharks appeared dead in the water for the second period as Westshore scored seven unanswered goals to take a huge lead into the end of the frame, but the Sharks would break the goose egg with :03 seconds left in the period to get on the board.

The Bears would all put this one away scoring 4 more third period goals before the Sharks could put another past Ty Reeve. Reeve only faced 21 shots in the game while his counterpart Jordan Day faced 57 shots in the contest.

The Sharks were led by Ben Tisdelle (1g, 1a), with single assists going to Blake Knoll, and Adam Fyfe. The Westshore Bears were led by Connor Rant (6g, 5a), Ryan Blundell (4g, 2a), Jarrett Blaase (1g, 4a), Carter Quested (2g, 2a), Will Perrier (1g, 3a), and eight others with multiple or 1 point games.



The Campbell River Ravens hosted the Nanaimo Timbermen on Sunday May 29th @ 3:30pm at the Rod Brind'Amour Arena in the Strathcona Gardens. The Ravens coming off a victory against Oceanside and the Timbermen losing a 1 goal game to the Sharks as well.

Campbell River jumped out to a one goal lead about 5 minutes into the first period but the axemen came to life burying 4 straight to lead 4-1. The Ravens not wanting to head into intermission down 3, controlled the last 3 minutes of the 1st and potted 2 goals to go into intermission down by one.

The second period saw the Timbermen dominate the Ravens in almost every aspect of the game; the Ravens couldn't catch a break as the Timbermen goalie Nolan Pritchard seemed to be unsolvable, stopping almost everything sent his way. Nanaimo scored 8 straight period goals and didn't give up a single until :21 seconds left in the period.

Each team traded a goal to start the third and then the tides turned; with the Ravens making use of every loose ball and faceoff, scoring the next five goals to bring the score to 13-10 Nanaimo with 2:49 left to play in the final frame. But alas, the Ravens would fall short this night as the T-Men popped in 2 more goals a minute apart to seal the game for the visitors.

The Ravens were led by Carson Foy (5g), Heydon Campbell (2g, 3a) and 3 point games by Lisne and Fisher. The Timbermen were led by Jayden Thomas (2g, 3a), Cole Prontack (5a), Jordan Conroy (2g, 2a), and Thomas Young (3g).