Week #4 - Recap



The Westshore Bears hosted the visiting Nanaimo Timbermen on Thursday May 12th and the hometown faithful got to watch their Bears 2nd home game of the season at the "Cave", formerly known as the Q Centre (for PNWJLL purposes, anyways...). With a great crowd in attendance, the home team jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the first 4 minutes of play but the young lumberjacks would not let the Bears walk away early with the match.

The axe-wielding Timbermen swung their way back in the next 5 minutes to tie the game half-way through the period. Unfortunately, the visitors got themselves in penalty trouble the rest of the frame and allowed the potent Bears offense to claw and shred through their defence, in which the home team racked up 9 more to end the period at 12-3.

The second period proved to be an even match-up with both teams accounting for another 7 goals; the visitors this time scoring 4 of the 7 and the home team 3. The T-Men seemed to have discipline in order as they prepared for the third period and the Bears riding an eight goal advantage, just wanted to play disciplined lacrosse and end the game on a high note.

Neither team tallied a goal until 2/3's of the way through the final period when the Bears posted 2 goals within 2 minutes of each other to put their "claw marks" on the game. Each team would score another marker late in the period to round out the scoring.

The Westshore Bears were led by Ryan Blundell (3g, 6a, 9pts), Connor Rant (2g, 4a, 6pts), Hunter Clarke (3g, 2a, 5pts) and four others with 4pts. each while the Nanaimo Timbermen were lead by Owen Burrows (2g, 2a, 4pts), Tysen Fontenla (1g, 3a, 4pts) and Patrick Canning (1g, 3a, 4pts).

Week #5 sees only one game where the Westshore Bears will travel to the Salmon capital of British Columbia to face the Campbell River Ravens @ 3:30pm at the Strathcona Gardens.



Campbell River travelled down to the Hub City on Sunday May 15th to face the young axe throwers from Nanaimo.

The Timbermen opened the scoring on the 2nd possession of the game but not more than a minute later, the visiting Ravens buried 2 goals of their own to take the lead. Nanaimo would tie the match up at three, 30 seconds later and then take the lead halfway through the frame in this entertaining match-up. The Ravens would take control of the scoring for the next 9 minutes, scoring 3 to take the lead by 2, but the home team would end the period on the positive with the last of the period; the visitors now up 5-4 heading in to the first intermission.

The Timbermen would score twice early in the second period to take the lead but the Ravens would respond minutes later to tie the game at 6 piece. The Timbermen would then control the score clock for the remainder of the period to take a 9-6 lead into the final frame.

Both teams traded powerplay markers early in the stanza but the home team would pull away responding with an extra goal each time the Ravens would inch their way back in to the game. The Ravens would fall short in the third 6-3; with this game going to the home club giving them their 2nd home victory of the season and sole possession of third place in the standings.

The Timbermen were led by Tysen Fontenla (4g, 2a, 6pts), Tyson Seward (3g, 2a, 5pts), Patrick Seward (3g, 1a, 4pts), and Owen Burrows (2g, 2a, 4pts). The Ravens were lead by Rylan Fisher (4 goals), Ryder Dumoneceau (2g, 1a, 3pts) and three others with 2 points each.