Week #11 - Recap



The Saanich Express visited the Oceanside Place Arena on Tuesday evening to face the Sharks. The Railmen opened the scoring just after the opening whistle and then again a possession after that. Back and forth play ensued and Sharks 'Keeper Kyle Johnston turned in to a wall, stopping everything thrown at him for the next few minutes, but cracks in the armor presented themselves and the road team chipped away to post what would be a lead they would not allow broken.

Kyle Johnston and Jake Colley faced 76 shots in the loss while Darian Claxton faced 34 in the "W".



The Bears and the Express faced each other for the fourth and final time this regular season. Each game is always an exciting and energetic match-up between these two rivals and this game topped off all of them! Each team battled physically each shift as there was end to end action and a number of stoppages for disciplinary reasons, but the Bears came out on top in a war of a first period with a 3-0 lead. The 2nd period was much like the first with the Bears goalie A.J. Jensen standing tall stopping everything the Express threw at him. The Bears matched their first period output and took a 6-0 lead heading in to the final frame.

The 3rd period continued to have its excitement; but it was the Express' Darian Claxton that would now thwart everything aside to give his Railmen a chance to get back in to the game. They did just that; with both teams now with short benches, Saanich climbed to within 3 but just didn't have the bodies or legs to close the gap further. An entertaining game and an undefeated season for the Bears who were well deserving!



A match-up between a team trying to catch that fourth and final playoff spot (Oceanside) and a team looking not to relinquish it, and in fact, trying to take third position (Campbell River). The Sharks opened the scoring only to have the Ravens tie it up. Lead exchanged hands a couple of times before the Sharks took a 5-3 lead in to intermission.

The visitors did not go away and kept clawing at the lead, eventually taking it from the Sharks and winning the period 6-3 and took a 9-8 lead in to the final frame. Oceanside then got in to penalty trouble, scored a shorthanded goal and looked to be able to rise above penalties but the Ravens swooped over the Sharks every time they entered Campbell River's end, taking the ball away on individual efforts and eventually scoring 5 more in the period to take the victory and all but dashing Oceanside's hopes at post-season play.



Campbell River opened the scoring on their first possession and continued to battle with a short bench, but the Trainmen derailed the visitors efforts minutes later by throwing 3 past the Ravens for the lead. An unfortunate injury then occurred to a Campbell River and a delay ensued for 30 minutes. When the game resumed, the game clock was running time and the periods were shortened.

The game and outcome was secondary as both teams appeared to have a good time playing it out, but the thoughts of all teams and spectators were all about the Ravens player and his ankle injury. The PNWJLL's positive thoughts and well wishes are with the injured player.